Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Free Credit Reports

By law, we are entitled to a free credit report annually from each of three major credit bureaus (Experian, TransUnion and Equifax). These free reports can be accessed from www.AnnualCreditReport.com.

According to Mary Hunt (from Everyday Cheapskate and Debt-Proof Living), the best way to get these reports is to stagger them throughout the year, so that you get one every four months. This enables you to keep an eye out for incorrect information all during the year.

When I get a new calendar for the year, I write myself a reminder in January, May and September to order one report from each of the three credit bureaus so I can set a schedule. This is very helpful because I don't have to try to remember when and where I last ordered.

For more great tips and ideas, check out Works for Me Wednesday at Rocks In My Dryer.

No comments: