Thursday, May 1, 2008

Hard Times Coming?

Yesterday I heard someone on my car radio talking about OPEC and what they are saying about the possibility of gas going up to $200 a barrel. The next thing I heard could strike fear in any driver's heart...that gas prices could go up to $10 a gallon in the next few years! Oh man, I cannot even begin to think what kind of effect that would have on an already unstable economy.

Most of us in America don't have a clue what it is like to really be poor. We may have financial problems, but for the most part, the problems are of our own making. The increasing prices of food and gas are making me take a hard look at how we spend our money. Don't get me wrong, we have never had money to spend on things like new cars and furniture or vacations. But I'm aware that we do not always make the most wise financial decisions either.

I am going to try really hard not to get caught up in the hysteria and the "what ifs" that people like to talk about. The bottom line is that God says He will supply all my needs...so He is my source. My job is to try to make the best financial decisions that I can and be a good steward of the money He entrusts to me.

Along those lines, I am reading everything I can get my hands on about living a frugal life. I will be sharing some of those resources here. I would love to hear from you as well. Please leave a comment and share any ideas or resources you have found to be helpful.

I think it's all about helping each other...while putting our faith in the One who owns the cattle on a thousand hills.

Here are my picks for this post:

Living on a Dime - website and free e-newsletter
http://www.livingonadime.com/

Penny Pinchin' Mama: 500 ways I lived on $500 a month
Book by Jill Cooper $12.95 http://www.livingonadime.com/books/penny-pinchin-mama.html

Frugal Living - website and free e-newsletter
http://frugalliving.about.com/od/frugalliving101/a/What_Is_Frugal.htm

SuperMarket Savings 101: A Beginning Course Teaching You How to Drastically Reduce Your Grocery Budget - by Crystal Paine $17.95
http://biblicalwomanhoodonline.com/store.htm

No comments: