Tuesday, May 22, 2007

The Art Project

When is the last time you colored? No, I don't mean your hair...I mean sitting down with a crayon and creating a masterpiece.

Okay, so here is my deep dark secret...at least one of them...I like to color! I cannot think of a time that I did not have at least one box of crayons in my house...even when there were no kids around to use them (it's getting harder and harder to remember a time that there were no kids around). There is just something about a fresh box of Crayolas...but not just any box...the big box with the sharpener in the back (that I never use, but I like knowing it's there) and the wonderful array of hues that beckon me.

I took the girls to story time at the library today. After a few songs and two books, it was time to work on coloring pages...an ice cream cone and a bee, to be exact. I watched both of them on the floor with their crayons racing...tongues sticking out in concentration. Purple cones and green ice cream emerged from the little hands. Two-year-old art is the medium for which refrigerator magnets are made. When BK was finished, I asked her to bring me her sheets so I could write her name on them. Hmm...the cone could use a little something. Picking up the brown, I outlined the diamond shapes, then filled them in...smiling as I concentrated hard to NOT stick my tongue out. About that time, BK turned around to see what I was doing. With an indignant "MOMMY!", she grabbed the page protectively...how dare I mess up her picture?

Alas, there is a time and a place for everything. The girls are now down for their naps. I tip-toed down the hall to check on them. Yes, they are fast asleep. Now....where are those crayons......

2 comments:

Elysa said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of blogging! I've already read every single word you've posted and I AM waited with bated breath for more. Your crayon blog posting was excellent...good enought for publishing...REALLY!

Looking forward to many more such wonderful reads. :)

Love you!
Elysa

Anonymous said...

You took me back to my childhood...I absolutely loooove coloring...where else can the creative mind escape to the days of ol'...