Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Believing

In our Sunday School class we are beginning a new Bible study this Sunday...Believing God by Beth Moore. I am excited to see what God has planned for us during this time. To be honest, I have not felt that excitement...or expectation...for some time. If you have ever wandered around for a while in the desert, then you know what it's like to feel like you are finally getting back on the right track.

I have some tough stuff going on in my life right now and I am learning (again) that believing God requires action. The Bible says that faith without works is dead. We never really know how much faith we have until it is tested.

I think that sometimes the best thing we can do is tell the Lord that we want to believe...but that we are struggling with doubt.

In Mark 9, we see a father who brings his son who is plagued with convulsions to Jesus. Basically, he said "Jesus...if You can do anything to help my son, please do it."

23 Jesus said to him, "If you can believe, all things are possible to him who believes." 24 Immediately the father of the child cried out and said with tears, "Lord, I believe; help my unbelief!" (NKJV)

That was all Jesus needed to hear. He spoke to the evil spirit and it came out of the boy and he was healed.

We only have to start with mustard-seed sized faith. He does the rest.

This is the year that I will learn what it really means to believe.

No comments: