Sunday, January 25, 2009

Can Cans

I heard a great quote recently: "Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't...you are right."

There is much truth in that quote. Our actions follow our beliefs.

I've had the opportunity to hang around several people lately who are on a weight-loss journey, just as I am. It strikes me how many times I hear "I just can't _____" (fill in the blank). I even find myself saying or at least thinking it. Maybe it's getting up a little earlier to do a Bible study and spending some quiet time with God, eating some different kinds of vegetables that might not be a favorite, drinking more water, making time to add a little exercise in our busy lives, or walking away from the sugary desserts.
Whatever the "I can't" is, you can be sure that every time that phrase is uttered, that belief is lodged even deeper into us and the odds are greater that we never will.

I have to remind myself that as a Christian, the Word says that we can do ALL things through Christ who strengthens us.

Maybe we should take the advice of The Little Engine that Could. I'm going to make an effort to spend a lot more time saying "I think I can...I think I can...I think I can..." How about you?

P.S. Thanks to my sister Debbie for encouraging me to take time to wirte a new blog post. It's easy to get caught up in living life and neglect the things that I really enjoy. It is good to know that I was missed. : )

4 comments:

Just call me D said...

great post deidra! you are SO right. i've been saying, "i can do all things.." a lot lately in different areas of my life.

Anonymous said...

So true......We can with Christ....so let's just do it.

Anonymous said...

Wow, two shoutouts in one week. I must be soooooo good.

Anonymous said...

Yea Deidra, Thank you for putting into words so beautifully what we all know is true. Sometimes it really helps to see it all out there on paper.