Thursday, May 28, 2009

Ouchies and Summer Fun

I have been having some physical problems for a few weeks and everything else has kind of been pushed to the background. Something is going on with my shoulder that is causing much pain. It's my right arm, so at times I am limited in what I can do with it...including getting dressed and working on the computer...not good. I have been to my family doctor about it and he has given me some medicine that works short-term, but now I have to go to an orthopedic doctor...yuk. Hopefully something will get resolved soon.
  
Then last week I endured a torture session of having an ingrown toenail surgically removed and I'm still having to take care of that until it heals. I won't go into any details about all that, but suffice to say that it was not pleasant, although the doctor and her staff were super nice and attempted to make me as comfortable as possible. The doctor had a great sense of humor too and that always helps. When she started the procedure, I told her I was going to close my eyes.  She said, "Oooo...me too!"  Ha!

Our summer calendar is filling quickly. I bought advanced movie tickets for the 10 summer movies the local theater is offering for 50 cents each and I will be taking BK and all four grandsons.  We have done this for several summers and it's always a lot of fun. I also have them all enrolled in Vacation Bible School in a couple of weeks. 

Last night, we started the Wednesday night summer activities for all of them at church. We pick the boys up and eat at the church (if you have never taken five children out  to eat, you haven't lived). Fortunately, they are all good kids and I don't have any trouble with them. Then they all go to their classes. The two older ones are playing Bible Baseball, which is a cool game that encouraged the kids to learn Bible Trivia (hmm...is anything in the Bible considered "trivia"...well...you know what I mean) and then afterwards they go to a fun activity like skating or swimming or a baseball game.  The BK and the 5-year-old have classes where they hear a lesson, make crafts, sing songs and basically have a blast.  The "baby" (he's 3, so not a baby anymore, but I guess he'll always be the baby) goes to nursery and plays.

BK will be taking a six-week dancing and tumbling class this summer on Tuesday nights. This will be her first time to do anything like this and she is SO excited.  

The Summer Reading Program will start in June and will meet every Thursday night. They have fun programs planned with magicians and clowns and many more fun things. We love the Children's Library at our local library and go to story time once a week.  BK has grown so much in the two and a half years that we've been going...and I don't just mean growing up. I started taking her before she was two years old and while she had fun, she was so shy and didn't want to get far from me.  Now she is so outgoing and has so much fun singing and dancing, sitting on cushions listening to Ms. Mara read, making crafts and exploring the books to pick out a few to bring home each week. 

Here are a few pics from a few weeks ago at the library. They made paper-plate turtles and finger painted.
































No comments: