Monday, September 17, 2007

The Little Lessons

How many two-year-olds do you think know what this is:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

My two-year-old knows. We passed one at a construction site this week and she got really excited, pointed to it and said, "Mommy...I want to play in that playhouse!" I explained to her that this was a "porta-potty," a bathroom for the men to use who were working on the building. It took her a while to digest that and she must have asked "huh?" five times. Finally, it sunk in and she simply said, "Okay."

I love the opportunity to teach her about the world around us. Now, do I think that she really needs to know about portable toilets at this juncture of her life? Probably not. But toddlers are so curious about everything and her brain is like a sponge, just soaking in everything around her. As a stay-at-home mom, I am so privileged to be with her every day so I can play a part in her learning as we experience life together. I get such a kick out of seeing those little wheels turning. It goes something like this:

Me: How many porta-potties do you see?
BK: One!
Me: What color is it?
BK: White!
Me: Who uses it?
BK: The men working.
Me: Where do they go in?
BK: In the door.

That's the end of our porta-potty lesson...I figure that's all she needs to know for now.

No comments: