Thursday, September 13, 2007

Walking in Pain

As I begin this post, it is in the wee hours of the morning. Not being a morning person by nature, this was not the planned time for me to arise...but my leg had another idea. I woke up with searing pain in my calf...a leg cramp so severe, I almost screamed out in pain. I nudged my dear hubby awake, urgently asking him to help. He tried, but to no avail. I was afraid to move, but I knew I had to walk...even if I didn't know how I could. I stood and all I could do was prop myself on the wall. After a time, I was able to limp down the hall, stumbling at first...dragging my leg...still in the grip of the terrible cramp. I walked through the kitchen and in to the den...then back and forth in the den. As I walked, I could feel the muscle loosening. Finally relief came.

In that moment, it occurred to me that what I had just experienced physically compares to emotional experiences as well. Sometimes emotional pain comes suddenly and it can be so severe...crippling even...that all we want is to lie still. We want a quick fix...anything to stop the pain. We turn to others for help, but often they cannot help, even if they try their best. Sometimes we just have face the pain and walk through it.

Fortunately, we have a God who has promised to never leave or forsake us...even in the dark night of the soul...when the pain has us in it's grip with such strength that we aren't sure if we will ever not hurt again.

As long as we are here on earth, we will go through junk...it's the price we pay for living in a fallen world. I'm sure glad that He didn't leave us to fend for ourselves.

No comments: