Sunday, September 16, 2007

On Googling...

My next assignment in my Sociology class is to write an essay on the Love Canal. I'm embarrassed to say that I had no clue what that was, but after doing a quick Google search (don't you love Google?), I found all the info I need for research on my essay. By the way, for those of you who do not know, the Love Canal (named for William Love) was a massive toxic waste dump in Niagara, NY, which later was covered over and a community was built on top of it. Later, the residents began getting sick and there was an unusually high incidence of birth defects linked to the oozing chemicals under their homes and school.

A few days ago I read a post on a friend's blog that told about her attempt to find some old acquaintances from high school and college days. I decided to Google some names that I remembered from high school to see if anything came up. I found the business website of one guy, emailed him to see if he was the same one I knew, and we got caught up on "what's been happening with you?" and "whatever happened to _____?" High school was not a great time for me and I don't have many memories from then, but it was really good to reconnect with someone from my teenage years and I have enjoyed my communication with him. I look back on the shy teenager I was...so painfully self-conscious...and even though I know it was really me, I hardly recognize that person any more. These days, I am bolder, more self-confident and hopefully a little wiser about myself...and about life.

It is harder to find the girls I knew back then because we change our names frequently. So, in case anyone is trying to locate me from long ago, my maiden name was Deidra Tate back then and hopefully Google can help you find me.

2 comments:

Elysa said...

I'm glad you found your old friend. Since posting that, I've actually reconnnected with 2 pals from my past. One from my time at seminary found me on his own and another I was motivated to look for "yet once again" and this time hit gold! :D

BTW, the one who found me was able to do so because I'd put both my maiden name and married name on an announcement for P&K magazine and it came up on their online calendar of events. How cool is that?!? :D

Anonymous said...

Hi Deidra, I thought I would come in and visit your blogspot since it was on the bottom of your email to me. :-) I hooked up with a few old school mates off www.classmates.com have you tried that?? it costs money though to do it so I stopped it a long time ago. I think I have hooked up with two school friends and like you we have said what happened to so and so?? School however to me was my home away from home. I would have much rather been there than home. Anyway....glad you connected with your friend and hopefully you can catch up with some more. I never thought of googling people. thats kind of scary to be finding people like that or is it??? lol Well, I hope you have a great day and feel free to look in on my blogspot. I have not done much to it though...but need too....just dont have the energy too....:-( Lianne