Friday, October 16, 2009

Facebook

I resisted getting a Facebook account. I really did. My thought was that I didn't really need another website to have to "babysit" everyday. But when I finally caved in and opened an account...well...now I'm addicted and I love it.

I like connecting with old friends and family members. I like being able to share photos and anecdotes of my life, as well as reading those of my Facebook "friends" (that term is used loosely, because I've never met some of the people on my Facebook list).

How people interact with each other has always been interesting to me. Being involved on this social networking website has been an eye-opener. I can't help but wonder how many relationships have been effected by Facebook...for better or worse.

If they post often, then I am able to get to know the people on my friends list...what is important to them...and what ticks them off. This can be a good thing...or a not-so-good thing. Sometimes people look so much better from afar, you know? Of course, I suppose it's entirely possible that it goes both ways, as others get to know me better as well.

In this age of technology, which makes it easier than ever to stay in touch, it seems that people are becoming more disconnected from each other. Facebook helps me feel connected to my people. And that is a good thing.

No comments: