Saturday, October 24, 2009

Chili and Cornbread

I woke up from a late nap today and realized I had nothing planned for dinner. After a quick perusal of the pantry and freezer, I came to the computer and Googled "ground beef" and "Jiffy cornbread" and instantly found several recipes. I grabbed this one for Chili & Cornbread.

I tweaked the recipe a little and it turned out so delicious... definitely a keeper. It could be made spicy, but I like it mild so my four-year-old can enjoy it too.

CHILI & CORN BREAD

1 lb. ground beef

1 onions, chopped (I used about a cup of frozen onion/green peppers)

2 cloves garlic, crushed (I used 1 tsp. garlic powder)

2 tbsp. chili powder

1 tsp. salt

1/4 tsp. pepper

1/4 tsp. oregano

1 tsp. cumin

1 tsp. vinegar

1 (1 lb.) can diced tomatoes, undrained

1 (1 lb.) can kidney beans, undrained

1 pkg. Jiffy cornbread mix (small)

Brown ground beef with onions and garlic; drain. Add chili powder, salt, pepper, oregano, vinegar, stewed tomatoes and kidney beans. Simmer, stirring occasionally until liquid is reduced and thickened.

Put in an 8x8 dish. Mix cornbread according to package and cover chili mixture with it. Cook according to package directions or until cornbread is golden brown and done in the center. Serves up to 4.

The recipe can easily be doubled. I will make this again and I think I will at least triple the meat mixture and freeze in meal size pans. Then when I'm ready to cook, I will defrost and mix the cornbread for the topping for a super quick meal.

No comments: