Thursday, November 5, 2009

Spirit of Adoption

For you have not received a spirit of slavery leading to fear again, but you have received a spirit of adoption as sons by which we cry out, "Abba! Father!" Romans 8:15

Those of you who know me in real life, know that adoption holds a special place in my heart. My sweet girl was given to us through adoption and I can't think of a more selfless gift.

We made the decision when she was very young that we would tell her early that she is adopted. I want her to grow up knowing that she was chosen and that she is loved very much.

Sometimes she and I talk about adoption. Today it was about a baby kitten being adopted. We talked about the baby kitty needing a family...and a family needing a baby kitty...so they took the kitten home with them to love and be a part of their family. Then I reminded her that she is adopted and that her daddy and I brought her home with us to love her and to be a part of our family...forever.

She looked at me with those beautiful brown eyes and said "Mommy, do you love me in your heart?"

I had to swallow hard before answering to keep the tears at bay because she wouldn't understand them.

"Yes sweet girl, Mommy's heart is full of love for you."

I am thankful for the gift of adoption. For the opportunity to mother this precious angel. And for my own adoption that makes me the daughter of the King.

The Spirit of Adoption is sweet and precious...and forever.

1 comment:

Jen said...

You have a very wonderful family!! Bless you all :)