Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Blueberries-R-US

A friend's father has a blueberry patch and they have generously supplied us with some wonderfully plump, sweet and pesticide-free blueberries...gallons and gallons of blueberries. As I sat and sorted them at my kitchen table today, with the air conditioner blowing and the ceiling fan whirling, quite comfy even though it was almost 100 degrees outside, my heart was thankful for the blessing of the blueberries. I so admire those who work the land to grow good things...and for those who share the fruit of their labor with others. One day I want to be one of those growers and sharers.

In the meantime, I'll share my recipe for blueberry syrup. It is so yummy and I made almost a gallon and a half this week to put in the freezer.

BLUEBERRY SYRUP

1 c. sugar
2 tbsp. cornstarch
1 c. water
2 c. blueberries (put in food processor to crush)
1 tsp. lemon juice

Mix sugar and cornstarch in 2 quart saucepan. Gradually add water. Stir in blueberries and lemon juice. Heat to boiling over high heat. Stir constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute. Makes 3 cups. Serve warm and then refrigerate.


Enjoy!

No comments: