Sunday, June 17, 2007

Hug Your Baby Today

When my son Jeremy (who will be 29 next month) was about 3 or 4 years old, we lived in an upstairs apartment. He was good about holding on to the rail going up and down by himself. One day we were heading out to go somewhere and he went on down ahead of me. I was still inside when I heard him fall....down a couple of the wooden stairs...then he fell off the stairs and plummeted to a concrete sidewalk below...just inches away from a chain link fence. We scooped him up and headed for the ER. Fortunately, he was not injured seriously, just a few bruises on his back from the stairs (I still believe that an angel caught him and put him down gently on the sidewalk).

Kids are resilient and he bounced back quickly. However, I was not so fortunate. It was such a traumatic event for me...I would close my eyes at night and hear him yell as he fell. I had terrible nightmares…in fact, over twenty years later, I still wake up in a cold sweat occasionally thinking about what could have happened.

In an instant your whole world can change.


We should not take even one day for granted.

No comments: