Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Thanks....anyway

I'm sitting here with a blank screen and it occurs to me how intimidating that can be. Don't get me wrong--it's not that I don't have anything to say. I always have something to say (just ask my husband). But I think the responsibility of public writing holds me back from being as honest and transparent as I normally would be. After all, I am a Christian and I believe that I should probably be using this medium to inspire and uplift. The problem is that I do not always feel uplifting or inspirational and it's hard to pass along something that I struggle sometimes to experience myself.

Depression closes in on many people this time of the year...threatening to lower its cloak of darkness and choke out any semblance of hope and joy. Do I sound like I know what I'm talking about?

I do.

I know that I have much for which to be thankful this Thanksgiving Eve. My Savior who loves me no matter what...my family and friends...my little miracle child's arms around my neck, squeezing so tight...my church...my decent computer in my comfy house in my safe neighborhood in my free country...good health...provision...gas in the car and a turkey in the fridge. Life is good.

So what does one do with this feeling of sadness and impending doom?

I have found over the years that reminding myself that I will not feel this way forever...while not beating myself up over getting to this point in the first place...seems to help...at least a little bit.

Some people will say it is a spiritual problem. Some will say it's a chemical imbalance. Some might even say that it is predestined genetic issue. Most will have an opinion...and most are not helpful at all.

I pray that God will help us to be sensitive to those around us who are sad and hurting...for whatever reason...and help us to remember that this is not the season to be jolly for everyone.

Pass along a smile and a hug...and hold the judgement...you never know what a difference it could make.

No comments: