Saturday, February 2, 2008

Free To Be

I have started participating in the First Place Bible study at my church. For those of you who do not know, First Place is a weight-loss program and its goal is to encourage a balanced life. Even though I'm only into week two of the program, I have realized something about myself...it is very easy for me to slip into a legalistic mindset.

I am normally a follow-the-rules kind of person, so it is very easy for me to get caught up in things that I "have to" and "must do". The First Place leader encouraged us this week to put the Lord first in everything we do and make our relationship with Him a priority. She reminded us that as we do this, He will change us from the inside out. Do I have a responsibility in all this? You bet. But it is not all up to me...the freedom comes from Him.

But whenever anyone turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away. Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the Lord's glory, are being transformed into his likeness with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit. (2 Corinthians 3:16-18 NIV)

No comments: