Friday, November 7, 2008

Oh Be Careful Little Mouth What You Say

Someone I know sent out an email yesterday that spoke in very negative and ominous terms about the election results and the direction that our country will be taking as a result.

A couple of local school employees got highlighted on the news for apparently censoring some students for just saying Obama's name.

These are two incidents that I encountered yesterday that I would consider post-election "fallout." I expect many more to come. So far, what I'm hearing could be considered "sour grapes" from those whose candidate did not win. But I believe in time, even those who voted for Obama will become disillusioned when he cannot deliver on all that he promised.

What I find disturbing in all this is how many people who get caught up in all the mud-slinging and name-calling profess to be Christians. Sure, everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But how helpful is it to send out mass emails warning everyone of the dire consequences of a poor decision at the polls?

In these days of economic uncertainty, there is enough fear to go around. Do we really need to be sowing seeds of resentment and worry over what may or may not be the result of our new president's regime?

God's Word tells us to pray for those who lead us. In fact, we are told that even though we live in a democracy and vote for our leader, God is ultimately in charge of who is elected. Don't believe me? Check out Romans 13:1.

We are also told that He will judge every idle word that comes from our mouths (or our keyboards). Before we forward on that email, or repeat something we've heard at the hair salon, we probably should test it by the scriptures to see if it is something that we want on our ledger of things that we have said. I'm just saying.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable--if anything is excellent or praiseworthy--think about such things. Philippians 4:8

1 comment:

Jen said...

I SO agree with you!! I HATE the "fallout" after an election....especially around blogland. He wasn't my pick.... but he will get my prayer and respect for the position of authority he holds in my beloved country. It always breaks my heart to see slander,hate and malice spread by the brethren all under the supposed guise of "warning us lovingly" (rollereyes)This is NOT how Christ would have it. Thanks for the great post :)