Sunday, November 9, 2008

Talkin' Turkey

I have never really cooked with ground turkey. I know all the health benefits of turkey over ground beef. What I didn't really realize until this weekend was how incredibly frugal it is as well. Kroger has 1 pound rolls of ground turkey for $1.00. I picked up a few rolls for the freezer. Yesterday I wanted to cook taco soup in the crockpot, so I decided to use a roll of the turkey. Instead of browning the turkey, I boiled and then drained it.

I was amazed. We absolutely could not tell the difference.

I imagine everyone has a recipe for taco soup, but in case you don't, here you go:

Talkin' Turkey Taco Soup

1 lb. roll ground turkey (cooked)
1 can kidney beans
1 can pinto beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can corn
1 envelope taco seasoning
1 envelope ranch dressing mix

Combine all (with juice from cans) in a crockpot and cook on low for about 4 - 6 hours. Serve with tortilla chips and cheese.


P.S. Tonight we used some of the leftovers to make taco salad. I cooked some rice, warmed the soup and mixed them with grape tomatoes, lettuce, crushed tortilla chips and cheese. We topped with ranch dressing.

No comments: