Friday, April 11, 2008

No Greater Love

For as long as I can remember, whenever something particularly upsetting would happen to me and I needed to calm down, I would close my eyes and "go somewhere" in my mind. The place was always the same...a field with tall grass...and since this began as a child, I still see myself that way...running, with my arms open...toward...someone. I never saw the other person, but I knew that it was someone who was safe...and could keep me safe.

It wasn't until years later, well into my adulthood, that God showed me that who I was running to was Jesus. Even before I knew Him...He knew me...and was calling me to Him...to a place of safety and love.

As I am writing this, I have a CD of praise music playing...it washes over me as I think about His goodness. One song in particular made me think about our tendency to want to love those who love us. I am thinking that is just how we are all wired. The old song says....Oh how I love Jesus! Oh how I love Jesus! Oh how I love Jesus..because He first loved me.


Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. John 15:13 (NIV)

No comments: