Friday, December 7, 2007

Superwoman I'm Not

I wonder why is it that this time of the year especially I find myself running around like a chicken with my proverbial head cut off? I tend to do this at other times of the year too. It seems like there are days that just don't have enough hours for everything to fit inside.

Upon reflection, it is not that there is a lack of hours. What really is going on is that I try to pack too much into those 24 hours.

I say yes. I volunteer. I want to help. That's not a bad thing, right? It doesn't seem like a big deal at the time. Surely I can fit that little thing into my schedule. The problem comes when all those little things turn into several big things, eating away at my time and energy...leaving just the left-overs for my family.

It's hard to maintain balance...especially for stay-at-home moms. Because we don't have to sit at a desk at work all day, it is assumed that we have time to devote to countless activities. Throw a home-based business into the mix and the juggling goes to a new level.

I have to remind myself over and over and over that my number one priority has to be my family and my obligations to them. If I am so busy with my "stuff" that my house is neglected (this is a challenge for me), or don't take time to plan our meals so we end up eating out (spending money that we don't have and eating food that is not nutritious), or getting so stressed that I am unable to be the wife and mother that I am called to be, then there is a problem.

When my priorities are out of whack it can cause damage to my marriage, my finances, even my health. I cannot be all things to all people...as much as I might want to try.

So if you run into me and hear me muttering...

"I would love to but I just can't right now..."

"That sounds great, but I just don't have time..."

"I'm sorry...not this time..."

...just know that I'm practicing putting first things first.

No comments: