Sunday, July 13, 2008

Where Did My Baby Boy Go?

Thirty years ago today, I was a VERY pregnant 18 year-old, anticipating the arrival of my first child the next day. I was two weeks past my due date and miserable. My doctor finally decided to induce, so the plans were made. Bright and early I woke up on the morning of July 14th...in labor! We headed to the hospital as scheduled.

It was a long, hard day, but around 4:00 that afternoon I saw for the first time a little face that would change my life forever. My sweet baby boy weighed in at a hefty 9 lb. 12 oz. They called him "Big Mac" in the nursery because he was so much bigger than the other babies in there. He had a head full of dark hair and was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen.

We had a birthday party for Jeremy tonight. I looked at him and I can't help but be amazed at the man he has become. He thinks his youth is over since he's turning 30, but I know that his life has really just begun.

For all you young mothers out there...give your little ones an extra hug today because you will blink and they will be grown...trust me...I know.

2 comments:

Nette said...

I was blessed by you today. I have a two year old boy and somedays I get tired of explaining why he isn't the invinceable man he believes himself to be. I'm guilty of occasionally wishing that he would grow faster so he could just understand. But your words remind me to relish in the moments that I have because they only happen once.
Thanks - Janette

~ said...

Welcome Janette...and thanks for your comment!