Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Thanksgiving - Day 10

Today I am thankful for my glasses.

Since I have been wearing glasses over four decades now, I would venture to say that there were many times that I was not thankful for them at all. My vision is so bad that up until a few years ago, the lens in my glasses looked like Coke bottles (for those old enough to actually remember what a Coke bottle looks like). They were heavy and uncomfortable, not to mention UGLY. I look back at my school pictures and I see pair after pair of pitiful looking glasses.

I got my first pair of glasses when I was two years old. I'm told that on the ride home, I looked out the car window and saw all sorts of things that I had not been able to see without them and I was amazed.

Thankfully, my vision is fully corrected by glasses. Without them I'm sure that I have to be legally blind. So even though I've had a love/hate relationship with my glasses over a lifetime, I am truly thankful that I can see normally.

1 comment:

Regina said...

Amen. I am also grateful for my glasses. I got my first pair when I was in third grade, and I remember that I couldn't stop staring at the trees. I was so amazed to see the individual leaves and not just a big blob of green. My vision was so bad that they didn't even make contacts that would work for me until I was a senior in high school. I get them every now and then, but nothing compares to my trusty glasses. Just put them on and take them off. I often wonder what it would be like if there were some catastrophe and I lost or broke my glasses. It scares me to wonder what I would do if I couldn't see. So this was a great reminder to be thankful for these glasses while I reach for instinctively when i first awake each morning.