Friday, November 19, 2010

Thanksgiving - Day 19

Today I am thankful for good health care.

BK is sick again. It seems that this time of year she always has trouble with upper respiratory junk. I am so thankful that we are able to have her seen by her pediatrician and get the medicine that she needs.

When we lost our health insurance earlier this year, I wasn't sure what we were going to do. I did some research and found out that BK was eligible for CHIP (Children's Health Insurance Program), which is a state program that provides health coverage for uninsured children. This has been such a blessing for us. She was able to continue going to her pediatrician and it pays for her medicine. It covers her dental care too.

I am still without health care, although I have found some alternatives. A free after-hours clinic has opened in the town where I used to live. It is staffed by local doctors who volunteer to see people who are working, but just cannot afford health insurance. I have also joined Christian Healthcare Ministries. This is a group of Christians who share each others hospital costs. There is a monthly payment, but it is much less than traditional insurance. I like the idea of us all sharing - kind of like the Early Church.

No comments: