Thursday, August 21, 2008

Food Choices

Okay...so it seems that I'm turning into a Dr. Jekyll - Mrs. Hyde when it comes to nutrition. I am doing a lot of reading about good nutritional food choices. For the most part, I know what I need to be eating...but making the right choices consistently is the problem. I buy fresh fruits and veggies, low-fat yogurt and milk, whole-wheat bread, tortillas and flat bread for wraps, brown rice, etc...then swing through the drive-thru on the way home to pick up a hamburger.

*shakes head*

I don't really get it...unless the obvious is true...I really am addicted to fast food. No surprise there...I just do not want to admit it. But don't they say that admitting you have a problem is the first step? (ha) Surely this is more a habit than an addiction...a conditioned response to stress and cravings...and emotional baggage.

By the way, I have been reading some really scary things about aspartame (aka NutraSweet or Equal). Dr. Richard Blaylock, a board-certified neurosurgeon who is a retired professor from University Hospital and now teaches at Belhaven College, has written much on the subject. He is not a kook...or an extremist. I am now convinced that aspartame is toxic and we should RUN from anything that contains it (this includes Diet Cokes). If you aren't convinced, do a Google search on aspartame and Dr. Richard Blaylock and read some of his findings...then make your decision.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Years ago, one of my relatives worked for a mgf. of aspartame products. This relative called my mother and told her that they had proof that this product is harmful and told my mom to avoid this product. I choose to believe people I know personally and avoid aspartame as the best choice for me. Diane