Monday, August 25, 2008

What I Most Want You To Know: A Working Mom

Our guest blogger this week is Barbie Bassett. I've been watching Barbie on WLBT for many years, but just in the last year have I realized what a truly incredible woman she really is. I read her blog regularly and I heard her sing and speak at my church a few months ago. She is a down-to-earth wife and mother, who has a heart for God. She and her husband William live in the Central MS area with their three children, Gracie, Will and Lilly Faith.

A Working Mom

Now that I have 3 children under 5, a question that people keep asking me is "How do you do it all?" Whether we are all at church or at Walmart, it never fails. I often want to turn the tables and ask them the same question, "Well, how do YOU do it all?"

It is true that I serve on 6 different boards of directors for various organizations, teach Sunday School, volunteer with several civic groups, teach part-time at Mississippi College, have a full slate of speaking engagements, and work as chief meteorologist for WLBT. In my opinion, I'm not doing anything that any other working mother isn't doing herself. What makes my situation different is that people see me living my life on television every night. I'm juggling it all as best as I can and I try to catch a few hours of sleep each night.

Back in the 80s, there was a commercial on television for the laundry soap called Calgon. The famous commercial usually showed a mother frazzled with the daily stresses of life. When she couldn't take anymore, she would yell "Calgon, take me away!" Is it hard trying to keep everything in the middle of the road and not wreck your home life? Sure it is. Being a working mother is the toughest job I've ever tried my hand at. So how do I answer those with inquiring minds?

Isaiah 41:10 says, "So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Every day I ask the Lord to help me make the right decisions concerning our family. I ask that God would help me wisely prioritize for the day ahead and let go of the things that don't have eternal value in His kingdom. And for the times when I'm so tired I don't think I can manage the day's duties and be a good mother, I ask the Lord for clarity of mind and courage.
I am only able to do what God allows me to do. Sure, time management matters and I wouldn't be able to keep all of the balls in the air at the same time if it weren't for the loving support and guidance from my husband. But God knows my heart and He knows yours. Surely then, He knows when you and I can't handle anymore on our plate. Because of that, we should not fear the day ahead.

So when you see us out and about, please come up and introduce yourself. And if you hear me yell, "Calgon, take me away", you'll know I'm just busy trying to be a working mother!

Barbie Bassett
Chief Meteorologist, WLBT
www.barbiebassett.com
Check out Barbie's Blog at www.barbiebassett.blogspot.com

No comments: