Sunday, August 3, 2008

A Poppin' Good Story

I found a tip on Deanna's Corner about making your own microwave popcorn. Check it out: http://ldgermany.blogspot.com/2008/08/saturday-savings-popcorn-poprs.html#comment-form

It reminded me of a childhood memory.

My dad was a visionary...a man who loved to experiment in the kitchen. One day he decided to try making popcorn in the microwave. Now, you have to remember that was back in 70's...before microwave popcorn became a pantry staple.

He took a small brown paper bag, poured in some popcorn and a little oil. So far so good. Then he decided that the bag needed to be closed somehow. He reached for the obvious...a bread twist-tie. I guess he forgot that there was metal in the twist-tie.

Oops.

Before long, there were a few sparks, then full-fledged flames filling the microwave.

Umm...needless to say, the next time we wanted a snack, my mom took care of it.

No comments: