Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Spaghetti Squash Casserole

I have been intrigued with the idea of spaghetti squash, so I finally bought one at a local farmer's market. I had to do a Google search to see how to cook the squash, but then I created my recipe for the casserole. The verdict from the family is unanimous...it was pretty good...and a relatively easy to get a veggie serving or two in. The coolness factor was way up there. This makes a lot. After we ate all we could eat, I fixed some for Mike to take to work two days and stuck the rest in the freezer.

Ingredients:

1 spaghetti squash
2 cans spaghetti sauce
2 cups shredded cheese blend (I used a mixture of Mozzarella, Monterrey Jack and Cheddar because that's what I had)
1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 lb. cooked meatballs, cut into thirds (could use cooked ground beef instead)

To cook spaghetti squash:

1. Cut in half lengthwise
2. Scoop out seeds and pulp
3. Turn cut-side down on cookie sheet
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes

After baking squash, shred inside with a fork. This part was cool because it really does look like spaghetti. Be careful, it will be very hot...I used an oven mitt to hold each half while I shredded.

Spray a casserole dish with Pam. Layer as follows and bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.

First and second layers:
1) 1/3 of the shredded squash
2) 1/2 of the meatballs
3) 1/3 of the sauce
4) 1 cup cheese blend

Third layer:
1) remainder of the squash
2) remainder of the sauce
3) Parmesan cheese

2 comments:

Jen said...

Spaghetti squash IS so very cool! Especially with my kids...This sounds pretty good...we'll give it a try!

Amanda said...

This sounds sooo yummy, Deidra! :) Thanks so much for the comment on my blog, it was great to "meet" you!! :)